Chromecasts. What is that?
Without being too technical, Chromecast is a device that allows users to stream content online.
It comes in the form of a dongle.
Chromecast is the latest attempt by Google to enter the domestic streaming market.
Users can use Chromecast to stream high-quality content from their smartphone devices directly to their HDTV.
In addition, Chromecast is especially useful for users who want to stream content from streaming sites like YouTube.
Chromecast can also download high quality content from streaming sites like YouTube and other online services.
Thus, users do not have to actually go out to search for and download material.
Chromecast works with laptops, tablets and smartphone devices.
Right now, you could think of yourself, yes, Chromecast is fantastic.
We have it.
But is there a way to make it better?
There is a way to make it better.
Combine Kodi with Chromecast and get the best streaming media device in the world today.
Here is the problem though:
Installing Kodi on Chromecast is, at the very least, complicated.
How To Download Kodi On Chromecast
Kodi is probably the best open source media player in the world right now.
Its software is as complete as you might find anywhere else.
It’s basically a home theater if you really think about it.
In addition, users can also use Kodi on almost all types of devices and operating systems.
We are talking about the use of Kodi,
- Android smartphone
- Android tablet
- Smart TV
- Personal computer
- IOS devices like iPad and iPhone.
And many other types of devices like Android box and Raspberry Pi devices
Kodi, just like Chromecast in a sense, can also play content from all kinds of online services like Netflix, YouTube and Hulu.
Also include other streaming devices.
And yes, with Kodi you can also stream content from torrent sites if you know how to install the right Kodi add-ons.
What have we established so far?
We have established that you can use Kodi to stream the latest TV shows and movies.
And you can do it without paying money.
Also, most of your streams would come in HD quality.
Which is great.
But what if you’re new to Kodi?
So you do not have to worry a lot.
In fact, all you really need to do is read this guide on how to download Kodi on your device.
Smart TVs are great because they give you access to a wide range of apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime and more – all at a relatively low cost. However, a Chromecast can also be installed with Kodi, one of the best streaming software you can get.
Please note that many add-ons contain unofficially licensed content and access to such content may be illegal. In short, if the content is free, but it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.
How Install Kodi On Chromecast Using Android.
Firstly, we will examine the best way to stream content from Kodi to Chromecast using an Android device.
You may think this will become messy.
We will examine each step step by step in an easy way so that you do not have to face any problems in following the guide.
Take note that this method is a bit ‘long.
You will have to show a little patience to face the whole process.
However, please be assured that this method is really the best method to use if you want to stream content using Kodi on your Chromecast using an Android device.
Of course, you would also like to know a permanent problem with this solution.
If this is the case, then you should seriously consider using this method with the highest possible concentration.
This method is better than other methods because it allows you to stream content from Kodi to Chromecast via an Android device.
And it also allows you to turn off the screen of your Android device.
Also, with this method, you can also make phone calls and do other things that other methods do not allow you to do.
Other methods block your device while you are streaming.
So, we recommend that you use this method to get the maximum benefits.
If you want to know how to install Kodi on Apple TV, go here for a complete guide.
How about Live TV with Kodi?
Well, you’ll need an add-on for this.
And a guide.
Before we start, you can’t stream Kodi content to Chromecast from an iOS device, so we’ll only be talking about Android devices for this method.There are two ways you can stream content to Chromecast from your Kodi-connected Android device: the long yet power-friendly way; or the quick, but battery-intensive, route.
The long way:
- Download ES File Explorer, Kodi, LocalCast and XML File PlayerFactoryCore.
- Open ES File Explorer, open Settings | View settings and make sure “Show hidden files” is checked.
- Next, make sure your Kodi or XBMC media center is connected to the Kodi app.
- Once finished, log back in to ES File Explorer and open the Download folder.
- Here you should find the PlayerFactoryCore.xml file you downloaded previously (if not, go to where your downloaded files were saved).
- Copy the PlayerFactoryCore.xml file and go to Android | Data and search for “org.xbmc.kodi” or “org.xbmc.xbmc” depending on which streamer you use. Kodi will be “org.xbmc.kodi”
- Once opened, click File | .kodi (or .xbmc, depending on what you used) userdata, and then paste the PlayerFactoryCore.xml file into this folder.
- Open Kodi and go to the video file you want to watch.
- Kodi will then automatically start LocalCast, even if Android will ask you which casting application you want to use.
- Once loaded, you will be asked to press “Play” and ask which device you want to broadcast.
- You will then have to click on “Play” once again and should finally be played on the TV connected to Chromecast.
The short way:
- Open the Chromecast app on your Android device.
- Open the menu and select the “Cast Screen / Audio” option and follow the instructions to connect to Chromecast.
- Open Kodi.
- Find the video you want to watch and press Play.
- Now it will play on both devices, but you can not turn off the screen or make calls.
How to install Kodi on a Chromecast using a computer
Streaming Kodi or XBMC content to a Chromecast from a PC is not as difficult as you might think, but – like streaming Android content – it’s far from an elegant solution to your problem.
- Download Chrome and the Chromecast app and make sure you have a Kodi or XBMC client installed on your computer.
- Install Chrome and its Chromecast transmission extension.
- Open Chrome and select the “Cast” option from the Chromecast extension.
- Where you see “Transmit this card to …” on the right will be a small down arrow, click on it and select “Full Screen Cast (Experimental)”.
- Once finished, the entire computer desktop should be streamed on the TV.
- Open Kodi or XBMC and start a video to watch.
Now you have Kodi streaming on Chromecast, why not take a look at the best Chromecast apps you can spend time with.
Please note that many addons contain content that does not have official license and access. It is the user’s responsibility to comply with the laws applicable in their country regarding use. Dennis Publishing Ltd assumes no responsibility for these contents. We are not responsible for any intellectual property rights or other rights of third parties and we will not be liable to any party as a result of such content made available. In short, if the content is free, it is also free.
How to transmit Kodi directly to Chromecast via ES File Explorer
Remember, Kodi does not have an add-on for Chromecast.
But Chromecast can transmit high quality content using the least amount of resources.
First of all, you need to make sure that Kodi is installed correctly on your device.
You also need to make sure that your Android Kodi device works optimally.
As mentioned earlier, you can use any device.
Device like the following will work with this method
2. Android TV
3. Android PC
If you do not have an Android device or do not want to install Kodi on your mobile device and transmit it to your Chromecast (maybe you like surfing the net while watching something), you should get Amazon Fire Stick or Amazon Fire TV.
You can directly install Kodi on these devices for streaming and are also quite cheap.
Follow this instructions and you will have Kodi on your Chromecast in no time.
- Bring your Android Kodi device and then download (and then install) Es File Explorer on it.
- Once again, you’ll need to top up your Android Kodi device and then download (and then install again) LocalCast for Chromecast or the DLNA app.
- If you followed the above steps correctly, your Android Kodi device is ready.
You should have LocalCast and ES File Explorer installed and ready to go to your Android Kodi device.
Now all you have to do is open ES Explorer File.
So you have to access the Menu option.
This option is located in the upper left corner of the screen.
Then press Settings.
And then find the option that says hidden files.
- Then download an XML file that is named PlayerFactoryCore.xml
- Next, you need to make sure to go to the Downloads folder on your Android device and then copy the downloaded PlayerfactoryCore.XML.
Now, you need to browse on Android, then on Data, then on org.xbmc.kodi and then on file, then on .Kodi and then on userdata.
Then, you need to paste the PlayerfactoryCore.XML file there.
We’re almost done now because your Android device or Kodi client is actually ready to connect with your Chromecast device.
- Now run Kodi and play your favorite files.
The LocalCast app you installed on your Android device Kodi will automatically start working on the details of your Kodi-streamed video.
- After that, all you need to do is select your Chromecast device using the LocalCast app.
And this is all.
Now you should not have a problem with transmitting content via Kodi on Chromecast.
This method is also applicable to streaming high quality Kodi content on devices such as Xbox One and Apple TV.
You can use this method to stream content even on other devices.
Of course, you need to make sure your device supports the DLNA app.
Kodi via Android device on your Chromecast works best if you use a good and fast Android device.
So what’s next?
The next step is to step back and enjoy the journey.
You have your Chromecast and you have your Kodi on Chromecast.
This is a dream configuration.
We advise you to go ahead and play something.
You will see that Kodi on Chromecast will provide you with a fantastic streaming experience.
And depending on the method you’ve chosen, you can also get a multi-task via your connected Android device.
In this way, you will also have the ability to do important things like calling someone while your Kodi transmits its display to your Chromecast.
Remember, not all methods will allow you to multitask.
Also, some methods will offer you more video quality than the overs ones.
Should I get Chromecast or Chromecast Ultra?
The difference between Chromecast and Chromecast Ultra comes down to price and video resolution.
Chromecast vs Chromecast Ultra
- A basic Chromecast device broadcasts HD 1080p streams
- A Chromecast Ultra can handle improved 4k HDR movies and performances
- Chromecast costs around $ 30
- Chromecast Ultra costs around twice
If you have a TV that can handle high-resolution 4K streaming and improved HDR colors, it makes sense to pay a little more to get Chromecast Ultra. But if you have an older TV that reaches 1080p, there’s no reason to get the premium version of Chromecast.
Apart from the differences in image quality, all the other features of Chromecast and Chromecast Ultra are identical.
Before you can use Chromecast to broadcast Kodi streams, you need to make sure that you have all of the following hardware:
- A Chromecast dongle. The Chromecast dongle is the Chromecast hardware itself. Because Google’s popular puck-type streamer device can connect to a WiFi network, it falls into the “USB dongle” gadget category. USB dongles are basically USB flash drives with advanced features.
- An HDMI compatible HDTV. If your TV does not have an HDMI port, you will not be able to connect your Chromecast. So be sure to check that the TV is compatible with HDMI before buying it.
- A stable WiFi connection. Chromecast will work again, but the video will be unstable and difficult to watch. Google says that Chromecast works best on WiFi networks with speeds of 25 Mbps or higher.
- A computer and / or smartphone. You need some kind of smartphone to run the Chromecast software. As mentioned earlier, Chromecast is compatible with iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac, Windows and Chromebook.
- A USB cable or a wall adapter. Chromecast comes with a USB adapter, but you can use any standard USB cable with the device. Alternatively, you can also use the wall charger supplied with the Chromecast for power.
Can I connect to Chromecast from within Kodi?
No. Currently, Kodi does not have native support for Chromecast. But that does not mean that Chromecast and Kodi are incompatible. It simply means that if you want to use Kodi with Chromecast, you can not do it within the Kodi program itself.
All of the following apps have native support for Chromecast:
- CBS Sports
- BBC iPlayer
- Comedy Central
- Daily Motion
- HBO Go
- FOX NOW
- Hulu Plus
- NPR One
- Sling TV
- Popcorn Time
IPhone or Android ?
You can install Kodi on iPhone devices. But since Apple has refused to host the Kodi app in its Mac store, you need to charge the Kodia or jailbreak of the phone and upload Kodi via Cydia to make it work.
If you are willing to do the work to get Kodi on your iPhone, you should be able to run Chromecast by adapting one of the solutions listed below. However, if you have an Android phone, a laptop or a desktop, you’ll have much easier transmission of your Kodi streams to your TV via Chromecast.
PC/Mac or SmartPhone ?
If you have a newer smartphone, you will have no trouble transmitting Kodi streams to your HDTV via Chromecast. But if you have an old smartphone that struggles to run modern apps, you may be better off using your laptop or desktop computer to broadcast Kodi.
How to transmit Kodi to your TV via your Android smartphone
If you have a smartphone, there are two ways to stream your Kodi stream to your TV screen. The first way is complicated, but it is much simpler on the battery than the second method. The second way is much simpler, but it requires transmitting the entire screen.
The “saving battery ” method *1
Good: this method consumes much less system resources than the method *2
Bad: it’s also a bit more complicated and a bit difficult to configure
We believe that “method * 1” is the best way to transmit Kodi content to Chromecast. The installation is a bit complicated. However, if you follow the steps below, you will be able to play Kodi streams on your Chromecast even when your phone is in “locked” mode and you can even multitask and use other apps on your phone without having to pause your movie.
In addition to saving battery power, method * 1 also generates more fluid flows. If your phone tends to get bogged down when you’re watching videos or browsing the web, you’ll probably run into anomalies and long buffer times if you choose to use the method *2
1. Install these 3 apps on your smartphone
- Kodi. Currently Apple refuses to host Kodi in its iOS App Store, so it is very difficult to install Kodi on an iPhone. However, Android smartphone owners can easily download the Kodi app for Android via Google Play.
- LocalCast. You can use almost all the caster apps you want to use, but we recommend LocalCast. LocalCast consumes less system resources than other smartphone casting apps.
- ES File Explorer. Any file manager that allows you to add and remove hidden files will suffice, but we recommend ES File Explorer because it is free and super easy to use.
2. Download the .XML PlayerFactoryCore file on your Android
- PlayerFactoryCore is a Kodi file that allows Kodi to connect to external video players.
3. Copy the .XML file to the “userdata” folder of Kodi
- Open ES File Explorer.
- Click on the 3 vertical lines in the upper left corner of the screen, then select the settings.
- Under Display Settings, select Show Hidden Files.
- Go to the download folder and copy the downloaded file in step 2- PlayerFactoryCore.xml.
- Using ES File Explorer, go to android → data → org.xbmc.kodi → file → .kodi → userdata
- Click Paste
4. Open Kodi and play a video
After pasting the file, open the Kodi app and play any video. LocalCast should appear automatically.
Important: if you have already installed a casting app, Android will ask you to choose which one to use here. In this case, select LocalCast from the menu and go to step 5.
5. Select your TV in LocalCast
After opening Chromecast, select the HDTV from the list of available devices and press Play to transmit Kodi to HDTV.
6. Minimize the Chromecast app and enjoy your movie
With this configuration the film will continue to play until the end, even if the phone hangs by itself. If you want to switch to another stream or raise or lower the volume, simply unlock the phone and make adjustments.
“Screen Mirror” method
Well: this method is simple and fast
Bad: the mirror screen mode will quickly run out of your Android’s battery
The simplest way to stream Kodi to Chromecast is to use the “mirror screen” mode of Google Cast to transmit the entire screen. Here’s how to do it:
Install Kodi and Google Cast
Both Kodi and Google Cast are available through Google Play.
2. Open Google Cast and select “Cast Screen / Audio”
- Hit the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Select cast screen / audio
- Click OK to confirm that “Screen transmission is not optimized for this device,
- your experience may vary” warning message.
3. Select your TV
Wait for Chromecast to find HDTV, then select it. Chromecast automatically adjusts the HDTV screen so it can hold the smartphone screen.
4. Open Kodi and play a video
At this point, Kodi will start playing your video on both your Android device and your HDTV.
IMPORTANT: If your phone hangs by itself or if you receive a phone call, your movie will cease to be played. So, for best results, disable the phone’s security and switch to airplane mode if you decide to launch Kodi using this method.
How to transmit Kodi to your TV via Mac or PC
If you perform a stunning video performance when you launch Kodi using your smartphone, you might try using your PC or Mac. All the software you need to run this method is:
2. Google Chrome
3. The Google Cast Chrome extension
Setup your software
1. Install Kodi. If you do not already have Kodi, go through the standard Kodi installation process.
2. Install Google Chrome. Google’s flagship browser has native support for Chromecast, so download and install Chrome if you do not already have it.
3. Install the Google Cast extension of Chrome. Open Chrome and then log in to the Google webstore to get the Chromecast extension. Google Cast gives you the ability to stream your computer screen to HDTV.
Important: If you use Windows, you may need to install some additional files to make the Cast Chrome extension work on Windows. Fortunately, Google has a Chromecast for Windows installer that contains all the files you need to get started.
2. Open the Google Cast extension
After installing the Google Cast extension, click the button at the top right of the screen that reads this tab on …
So, select cast screen / window (experimental)
3. Choose to transmit the entire screen
The Chrome Cast extension will ask you to choose what you want to broadcast. Select the entire screen.
4. Play a video on Kodi and enjoy your movie
With active screen sharing, HDTV will reflect everything on your computer screen. Just pull on Kodi and play a video to watch it on the TV screen.
Important: To get the best results with this method, disable the computer screensaver. If the screensaver activates, it will stop the movie. If you experience performance problems try closing all your programs except Kodi to save memory.
Which melting method works best?
We recommend using your Android to transmit Kodi to your HDTV.
In terms of performance, the casting strategy for Android smartphones “battery saver” is the most effective of the three fusion methods mentioned above. It’s also the only Kodi solution that lets you multitask on your device while watching a movie or TV show on Kodi.
The second best way to launch Kodi is the PC / Mac screen sharing method. It will not work very well if your computer is slow. But if your desktop or laptop is fast enough to support intensive CPU usage, performance will not be a problem.