Tired of paying for cable TV? Looking for a way to watch your favorite TV shows, movies, live events and more for free? Are you still paying for cable TV or movie downloads? If so, you’re wasting your money. With open source software known as Kodi, anyone can cancel their cable subscription and broadcast channels, TV shows and movies for free. Unlike torrenting, streaming with Kodi allows you to access live feeds.
Well then, take Kodi for Mac and join the cord-cutter club!
Kodi is an open source media player that gives you unlimited access to TV channels and online multimedia content around the world. The best thing about Kodi is that it is compatible with a wide range of devices including Mac OS, Windows, Android and iOS.
Mac users are not excluded when it comes to reliable and popular streaming services. This is because every reputable streaming service is web-based. However, Mac users are not lucky when it comes to locally installed applications that store and play movies or transmit online content. One of the most popular applications of this type is Kodi. In all honesty, it is not necessary to look elsewhere as Kodi acts as a player for locally stored films, TV shows and music, but it can also broadcast content from around the web. This is why we will teach you how to install Kodi for Mac. that you will love this fantastic application.
Just like in our previous guides, we will provide in-depth information on everything you need to know about how to install Kodi for Mac. This includes downloading the application, installing it and using it. We will finish this guide with a list of useful tips and tricks that will help you get the most out of Kodi. Even before we start, we would like you to know that this process is incredibly simple and everyone can do it. It is not necessary to have any technical knowledge; Even beginners can install Kodi for Mac without problems.
Most Internet service providers (ISPs) are able to track Web browsing habits and gather information. This type of personal data can be forwarded to government agencies or sold to marketing companies. One of the consequences of these actions can be the copyright infringement that some Kodi users have reported to receive. The only way to prevent this from happening is to use a VPN.
- VPN applications encrypt your Internet connection. As a result, your personal data remains hidden and inaccessible from your Internet Service Provider.
- VPNs unlock limited content. Using this type of application, your computer will receive a new IP address pointing to a completely different physical location. This way you can watch movies and TV shows with regional restrictions.
- VPNs can improve your Internet connectivity. A reliable VPN application can remove limited connections and achieve better overall performance.
If you are interested in protecting yourself using a VPN, let us advise. RemoteVLC strongly recommends using IPVanish. This application not only creates highly secure Internet connections, but also interrupts any blocked or censored content. It is also worth noting that IPVanish does not limit Internet connectivity, which is often the case with VPN applications.
How to install Kodi 17 Krypton on Mac?
The configuration of Kodi on Mac OS does not differ much from the installation of other apps. What you need is the Kodi XBMC installation file. To get the most out of Kodi, you must also configure Kodi add-ons. In this tutorial I will show you how to install Kodi 17 on Mac and how to configure the best Kodi components on it. You can also find information on how to use VPN with XBMC to keep all your Kodi activities anonymous.
Follow these instructions to set up Kodi on your Mac.
- Go to the official Kodi website and download the installation file.
- Once the process is complete, double-click on the file you just downloaded. This will extract the required disk image.
- Your Mac will ask you to drag and drop the app into the application folder.
- Once done, you can launch the Kodi app.
This is Important: You may receive a notification on your Mac that does not allow you to open applications from unknown developers. In this case, follow these steps:
1. Click on the small ‘Apple’ icon (at the top left of the screen).
2. Then, go to “System Preferences” -> “Security and Privacy”.
3. Now click on “Unlock” (in the lower left corner of the window),
4. Finally, activate the “Anywhere” option in the “Allow apps downloaded from” section.
Best Kodi Addons for Mac
- iPlayer WWW
- NFL GamePass
- Fox Sports Go
How to Install Kodi Addons on Mac?
- Start your Kodi app and go to “Addons”.
- Select the package installation program icon in the upper left corner.
- From there, click “Install from the repository” -> Kodo Add-on Repository -> Video Add-ons.
- Click USTVNow -> Install.
- Wait until the USTVNow Addon Enabled notification is displayed.
- Now go back to the Kodi start screen and select the “Addon” tab from the left column.
- Click on Add video.
- All installed video addons, including USTVNow, will be displayed here.
As a last resort, be sure to download the Kodi installation file only through the official Kodi website. Do not trust other sites. Also, always make the VPN connection before you start watching movies or TV shows via Kodi. Never take your online privacy for granted.
Install Kodi for Mac: Complete guide
Installing Kodi for Mac could not be easier. It all comes down to downloading the Kodi DMG file, decompress it and install the application. However, it is important to check the official requirements before proceeding with the installation.
In general, Kodi is a light application. It does not need the latest processor or a powerful graphics card. It is often said that if your Mac is running OS X (or macOS, as it is now called) – version 10.7, you can install and run Kodi without problems.
Here is an overview of the official requirements for Kodi for Mac:
CPU: Kodi works on x86 and x64 processors. Since Macs are powered by 64-bit processors, even a Mac of a couple of years ago Kodi will work properly.
GPU: this application requires a GPU (video card) that supports hardware video decoding and OpenGL 2.0. Even a very old GPU supports this function. Macs are powered by the latest generation of integrated and dedicated GPU units that have a lot of power. Running Kodi is not a problem for them.
RAM: your Mac must have at least 2 GB of RAM. However, it is recommended to have 4 GB of RAM for the overall stability of the operating system.
Available space: Kodi is a lightweight app when it comes to its size. It will take about 150 MB of free space, which is not much. However, you need a lot of space if you plan to import locally stored movies and files. If you already have that library on your computer, Kodi will simply use those files, without copying them.
Operating System: As said before, you need to be running OS X 10.7 or higher.
Detailed installation guide
Now you know if your Mac is able to run Kodi. We are sure that you will be able to use it without problems as this is really an app that does not consume a lot of resources. Next, we’ll see how to install Kodi for Mac.
- The first step includes downloading the Kodi DMG file. Go to www.kodi.tv, which is the official website of this application.
- In the upper right corner, click on the blue “Download” button. This will take you to a page that serves as an overview of the versions available for Kodi.
- Scroll down until you see a section called “Choose your weapon”. As you’ll see, Kodi offers incredibly broad compatibility with different platforms. You can install Kodi on Windows and on mobile platforms. There is a version of Kodi for Android and also for iOS. However, you need to click on the Apple logo to access the macOS version of Kodi.
- A new pop-up window will appear. Feel free to click on the “Installer (64bit)” button next to “Release”. This is the latest official version of Kodi. You will also see an option to install a nightly build. If you do not mind experimenting with beta versions (unfinished), you can download this build. However, we do not recommend it – you’ll be fine with the latest official version – Kodi 17.4.
- Your web browser will now download the file that is about 80 MB in size. Once this process is complete, you will find the file in the Downloads folder. Locate this folder in the Dock located at the bottom and open it.
- Now you will see the Download folder and the DMG file we just downloaded. Double-click on its icon and wait for it to not be compressed and verified. After a couple of seconds, a new window will appear.
- What you should see now is a blue window that says “Kodi”. Just drag and drop the Kodi icon in the Applications folder, both available here. After a couple of seconds, you will successfully install Kodi for Mac.
- Kodi can be found in the Applications folder. You can navigate through this folder by opening Finder and selecting “Applications” from the sidebar on the left. This is where Kodi awaits.
- To open Kodi, double-click on it. However, your system may prevent it from opening because it does not trust third-party applications. Here’s how to solve this problem. Use the CMD key and right-click on the Kodi application and click Open. If this does not work, go to System Preferences. This option can be found by clicking on the Apple logo located at the top left. Go to Security and privacy and select “Anywhere” next to “Allow applications downloaded from:”.
That’s all! We hope you managed to download and open Kodi. Do not stop here, as we discuss the next steps to do after installing Kodi for Mac. We’ll talk about the best way to add third-party add-ons and unlock a new world of entertainment. This will make you fall in love with Kodi, we promise it!
Now that you know how to install Kodi on macOS, let’s take a look at what to do next. We will explain how to take advantage of its features and how to optimize your user experience.
Add Media to Kodi
Immediately ready, Kodi offers a way to add your stored media locally. If you already have movies, TV shows, music and music videos on your computer, you can add them to Kodi. In this way, you can access the entire library using a single app. How amazing is this sound, right?
When you open Kodi, you will see numerous options in its main menu: on the left side of the screen. Some of the available options are Movies, TV Shows, Music, Music Videos, TV, Radio, Images and more. When you click on one of these sections, you’ll see two buttons on the right side. These are ‘Enter Files Section’ and ‘Remove This Main Menu Item’. If you click on the first one, you’ll be able to add a directory on your Mac. However, maybe you do not have any music videos, for example. You can remove this category using the other option (button). This will make Kodi cleaner and will avoid seeing unwanted options.
Add your local content library and use Kodi as a repository for your locally stored files.
Customize Kodi with Skins
We believe that Kodi looks surprising on its own. However, some of you may not like its interface. Do not worry, you can easily add new skins and easily switch between them. Many different options await you, so you will need a good guide on how to choose the right one and how to install that skin.
Add New Features via Add-Ons
Perhaps the best thing about Kodi is support for add-ons. After installing Kodi on a Mac, we strongly recommend that you check out the most popular add-ons.
Most add-ons act as applications within Kodi that unlock sliding content. This is a nice way to enjoy the latest Hollywood hits or to capture specific films from the region. For example, some addons bring Chinese film libraries and TV programs, while others focus on currently popular Korean films. Even fans of anime content will not be disappointed, as well as those looking for live streaming of TV channels around the world.
Finally, we should not forget sports enthusiasts. It is often said that Kodi is the best friend of every sports fan. It allows you to tune into the biggest leagues in the world. For example, you can use additional components that let you watch NFL or the latest boxing matches.
Install Kodi for Mac: Troubleshooting
Kodi is known for its stability. A very small portion of users have problems with this application. However, some unverified third-party add-ons can be the cause of various problems. The removal of Kodi and its reinstallation solve these problems. This is why it is important to know how to properly uninstall this application.
How to Uninstall Kodi on macOS?
You’ve probably heard that you can remove any Mac application by sending it to the Trash and emptying the trash. However, this will not remove all the files associated with that app on your system. To do this correctly, you need help from a third-party application called AppCleaner.
- Download AppCleaner from its official website. This is a very useful application that is also free. We are sure that you will leave it installed on your system.
- Install this application by moving its icon to the Applications folder, just as you would any other Mac application downloaded from the Web.
- Open AppCleaner by double-clicking on its icon in the application folder. You’ll see a simple interface with a message that says “Release your apps here”.
- Drag and drop Kodi on this window. After a couple of seconds, you’ll see all the files associated with Kodi on your Mac. As you’ll see, there are five voices. You can go ahead and click on the “Remove” button.
- That’s all! Now you have completely removed Kodi from your system. AppCleaner can also be used with other applications. Note that this completely removes Kodi, which means you’ll have to re-install add-ons, skins and builds from scratch if you plan to use Kodi again.
Tips & Tricks
Let’s take a look at some of the ways you can improve your user experience when you use Kodi. We talk about using a remote control and solving a small but annoying problem.
Use Apple Remote
Kodi is designed as a multimedia center. This means that you can use a remote control to control it. The good news is that you can use different Apple Remote models (both white and silver).
Using the Apple Remote, you can open the context menu by holding down ‘Menu’. You can preview multiple controls when playing media content by pressing ‘Select’.
Here is another piece of advice. You can start Kodi with Apple Remote instead of Front Row or iTunes. This can be set by going to Settings> System> Input Devices. Select “Allow Kodi to start using the remote control”.
Use iOS Device to Control Kodi
If you do not have the Apple Remote, you can turn your iPhone into a fully compatible remote control. Go to the App Store on your iOS device and look for an app called ‘Official Kodi Remote’. This app is made by a developer called ‘Joethefox’, which is how you will recognize it. The app is free.
Disable Ghost Files on Kodi
The Apple operating system frequently saves ghost files via metadata. If Kodi doubles your movies or other files, this is where this problem occurs. This is not a common problem, but you should know how to solve it.
If you see double files in Kodi, go to Settings> Appearance> File lists> “Show hidden files and directories”. This will make ghost files visible, so you can safely delete them.
Final Words and Conclusion
We hope that you have now managed to install Kodi for Mac. Apart from that, we hope you have decided to experiment with add-ons, skins and builds. Kodi is a very simple app in its core, but also very capable. It will take some time to explore all its features and learn how to get the most out of it.
What do you think of this media center app? Were you able to install Kodi for Mac without problems? If you have suggestions and tricks, do not hesitate to share your thoughts. Use the comments section below to express your opinion.